Fredericksburg, VA asked in Immigration Law and Adoption for Virginia

Q: I adopted my Grandson in 2004 and he was born in Canada. We are now having trouble getting a proper ID for him.

He has a social security number. I was assured that he could get a US birth certificate after adoption, but so far, only a Canadian one is provided with the name change. Can you guide me to further steps? He is living in Florida, where the adoption took place. I am living in Virginia

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: This question has several aspects to it. You should gather all the documents and urgently speak with a family lawyer and an immigration lawyer.

Justia has a lawyer directory and also the American Immigration Lawyers Association has a directory on their site.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.