Merchantville, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: i have a question about name change in new jersey

My birth certificate has a first , middle and last name. I have always used my middle name as my given name. I am now having problem with an institution that is insisting on using my first name on my birth certificate as my given name and only a initial for my middle on very important documents. My only option here is to have a legal name change. My question is can I use my first name initial and my middle name as my given name? Example: instead of Sarah Mary Doe, change to S. Mary Doe and no middle name?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I understand your inquiry but in filling out the forms for the institution, your first name will be identified as "S" and most forms only list the middle as an initial, so the document obtained from this institution may end up looking like S M Doe. Maybe the solution is to hyphenate your last name to include your middle name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.