Claremore, OK asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: My child’s father hasn’t been doing his weekly visitation for the last 6 months but wants to start again

I was about to file for contempt of court and see if I could get the order dismissed and some custody. Do I have to let him do his visitations again? He’s done this multiple times where he’ll call for a month or two and stop because he’s mad that I won’t give him money even though he’s the one who’s supposed to be paying child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If there is a court order that is granting him visitation, then you have to allow him the opportunity to follow that. If he chooses to not visit, that is his choice, but you cannot violate the court order. You can still file a motion to modify visitation and enforcement of child support, but in the meantime you need to follow the court order. Additionally, you will want to contact a family law attorney in your area to get more specifics to your case, as this is a general forum that doesnt allow us to get into the finite details of each case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.