Los Angeles, CA asked in Collections for California

Q: Re: Debt Collection, Doscover Card, Amount: $14000. I have Medical and CalFresh benefits. I am a Gig Driver, low incom

I cannot pay this Debt, I make $1800/month NET income. After rent & utilities, have $280 left for incidental per month.

I have a wife and 18 yr old in college. The $280 is not enough to cover our monthly cost.

Per my doctor advise with current medical problems, I am 68, now I work 5-6 hrs/7 days to earn enough for rent and some, we get by with CalFresh benefit of $443/month.

What will the court consider for the pay back, if any?

Thank you so much.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: as a general note, the court does not really consider much of your personal financial state when it comes to collections lawsuits unless you fall into a category of being judgment proof. the court will likely allow a judgment against you which means your wages could be garnished and your bank account can be garnished. you may want to consider filing bankruptcy and wiping out this debt, and any other debt you may have. that will give you a fresh start and you won't have to worry about stretching your monthly finances. contact a bankruptcy attorney for a free consultation to further evaluate your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.