Simpsonville, SC asked in Consumer Law, Estate Planning, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for South Carolina

Q: can you QuitClaim Deed property to Trust? & if the lender wants pay-in-full but you have nothing else of value left...

what happens when you do a QuitClaim Deed of property over to a Private Common Law Irrevocable Ecclesiastic Trust? If the person’s name is on the recorded Deed as owner… meaning legal owner of the property, having a legal interest in the property referring to the right to possess or use the property.

So if the person grants/transfers all claims of legal interest of ownership over to the trust, thus removing the person's name from the title of the deed. Leaving the person only with the mortgage responsibilities.

If the person has no job, no income, no other assets, no money in the bank and owns nothing...

What happens when the lender comes after you for payment in full but you (the person) have/has nothing?

Is the house/property safe in the private Trust from foreclosure and or seizure?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Transferring property to a trust does not magically remove security interests. If the loan goes into default due to lack of payment, the lender may foreclose its lien.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.