Madison Heights, VA asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Virginia

Q: This man rented a home to me without lease, doesn't even have a license to rent, Plus Deed not in his name.

We have 20 months of receipts.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I think you need a lawyer to review the situation, but the law requires leases to be in writing. Sometimes, things that don't look like a lease, such as an exchange of written emails or even texts followed by written checks might be a writing. And, if no problem ever arises, then it doesn't matter. You, however, haven't mentioned the problem. An hour consult with a lawyer, which can often be accomplished by Zoom these days, might help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.