West Chester, PA asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Dependent turns 23 halfway through 5th College year. How likely is Court to order College payments through the year

New Jersey Divorce. Settlement agreement stipulates and we have been splitting College payments 60/40. Dependent daughter unexpectedly has to take an extra (at least) college year, agreement makes no provision for extra College year and she turns 23 in January. I have no contact with her and want to stop paying on 23rd birthday. however child support never went through probate, PSA simply had me making payments directly to school or her mother. Do I Stand On Solid Ground cutting her off on 23rd birthday?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. Your Final Judgment of Divorce or (if your case settled) Marital Settlement Agreement should have a definition of emancipation within it. Often the definition will say the child support is not to extend past the child's 23rd under any circumstance and if the said language is included, even though your child is yet to complete college, you have a right to cease child support. If there is not a definition of child support cessation, there is a good chance that a court would order you to continue to pay child support as, technically, as she still in college, your child is not "emancipated." Certainly, there can be extenuating circumstances, inclusive of whether the child is attending college full-time or part-time. As such, I strongly suggest that you consult with a Family Law attorney to make sure that your rights are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.