Houston, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Texas

Q: I am a guardian wanting to adopt. Is there an attorney that I can talk to about how to proceed?

I am the primary custodial guardian for my almost six year old grandson who I have had since he was one week old. My daughter has supervised visitation two hours twice a month. His biological father is a joint guardian with very limited visitation rights. I am wanting to adopt my grandson and not sure how to proceed. We live in Pearland. The divorce case was done in Fort Bend County. I would like to meet an attorney to know how to proceed.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You could reach out to a family law attorney in your area. Make sure that they specify that they handle adoptions (all family law attorneys do not handle adoptions). They can then provide information on how to proceed.

Good luck on adopting your grandson!!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.