New Port Richey, FL asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Health Care Law for Florida

Q: I live in Florida. The sister-in-law of a guy I met not long ago, is a pharmacist at Walgreens. She went into my

medical history without reason or permission and told other people what was in it. I have never actually met her and have never been to that Walgreens. I wanted to know what course of action I could take, the specific laws she's breaking and what the penalty would be. I would also like to know if there is a statute of limitations. Thank you for your help

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It sounds like your medical privacy rights may have been violated. You can make a complaint with Walgreens for the HIPAA violation. 45 C.F.R. § 164.530(d) requires that covered entities have procedures in place for individuals to complain about an entity’s compliance with its privacy policies and procedures and the Privacy Rule.

Jane Kim agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.