Dallas, TX asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Texas

Q: Why would a company deny a consumer access to records that involve identity theft?

If your identity was used to file a liability claim and theres an account for compensation in your name, how do you get the claim file for law enforcement when the company is refusing to cooperate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You shouldn't have to get the claim file yourself. In fact, you probably should not get it yourself. What you do is report the theft of your identity to your local law enforcement agency, giving them all the facts which you are aware of. It is law enforcement's job to follow up on your report and go get the evidence.

There are several possibilities regarding why the company won't give you the evidence. First, how are they to know that you yourself are not the identity thief. They are smart to wait for a request from law enforcement before turning over evidence of a crime. This is a problem almost everybody faces when their identity has been stolen. And you may run into this same problem for many months to come.

Don't worry, nothing really bad usually happens to identity theft victims. It's just a pain in the rear. You'll get through this so long as you keep a sense of humor about it. My identity has been stolen three times that I know of, and in one of the cases, it actually helped my credit score! Long story, but true. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.