Minneapolis, MN asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: I reported a crime 2020 and have been charged due to it 2021. I did not know I've been summoned and now I have a warrant

I did not know they would charge me with a felony regarding the day I reported the crime last year 2020, a year later. Now I missed the court date because I was not aware I was required to show up to the court. They might have sent the notice to appear court date to the old residential address I use to reside but I don't use that same address anymore so I would have no way of knowing. Now I have a felony harassment warrant. Is it possible to delete the warrant and schedule a new date without being arrested?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Moses Lake, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: I assume you are saying that you have a pending criminal case here in WA State and that you live in MN.

What you need to do is hire an experienced criminal defense attorney here in WA, where your charge is filed and he/she can start the process to get you a court date and maybe even get your bench warrant quashed. Since it is a criminal offense I will tell you now that you will almost for sure have to appear in court. It could be over the internet on Webex or Zoom for some or those appearances but usually in Superior Court the person would have to appear at the beginning for sure to start the process. Please chose your attorney wisely and get someone that does criminal defense all the time, not just sometimes. Good Luck and let me know if I can help you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.