Providence, RI asked in Immigration Law for Connecticut

Q: an Humanitarian visa can get denied because the reason is chronic depression?

- My mom lives is venezuela right now

- she does not have a tourist visa

- I will become a USA citizen in a few months

- I work as engineer in USA

- My mom take medication for depression

- my mom has a sister who committed suicide

- my mom is suffering a chronic depression at this time , losing a lot of wait.

- my mom can not take her of herself

- she is 69 years old

- she needs my emotion support

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL

A: You present a very long list of legal and personal issues that should be directed to a licensed practicing attorney familiar with that area of immigration law. Consider meeting in person or remotely via conference call or zoom.

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: Have you considered bringing your mom to the US to live here permanently once you become a US citizen rather than humanitarian visa? Regardless, There are four main reasons why someone could be denied entry to the US because of their health:

1) Communicable disease of public health significance,

2) An immigrant’s failure to show proof of required vaccinations,

3) Physical or mental disorder with associated harmful behavior, and

4) Drug abuse or addiction.

In order for your mom to be admissible to the US, you will have to show that her mental disorder is not associated with harmful behavior. I would strongly recommend working with an experienced immigration attorney. You can find one on, or Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.