Sulphur Springs, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Texas

Q: Objecting to entry of orders? Orders to be signed by judge are slightly different than the ones opposing Council sent me

The opposing party was ordered to draft the temporary custody orders after our hearing. They sent me a copy to sign and said I had 10 days to respond with changes or they would send to court for entry "as is." I responded and told them I intended to respond with my changes/objections within the 10 days. I miscalculated and missed the 10 day deadline so they sent the orders to the courts with a motion for the judge to sign, but the order they sent the judge is not the same order they sent me. They also have the wrong day our temporary hearing was held on the orders for the court to sign. Is there such a thing as "objection to entry of orders" or should it be "objection to proposed orders"? How about the fact that opposing Council changed some of the wording in the proposed orders they sent me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should go ahead and file with the Court your objections to entry of the court orders that Opposing Counsel submitted ASAP, even if it's outside the 10-day window. You should write out each objection that you have to the Judge signing the Order as presented. You should file that with the Court and send a copy to Opposing Counsel.

You can then contact the court's Coordinator and ask them to provide you with a date for a hearing on your objections.

Hopefully this answer didn't come too late. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.