Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: If I have already pled out and the case has been closed is the bondsman able to file bail jumping for non pymt

I went to jail in 2018 then bonded out and my case closed shortly after, is the bondsman able to file bail jumping for non payment

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: No. Bail jumping is a charge for those who are alleged to have absconded and missed a court appearance. It doesn’t appear that occurred based on your description.

If you still owe money to the bondsman and you previously agreed to pay him or her, the bondsman is able to file a civil action against you to recover the amount you owe plus interest and any costs and attorney fees for filing the civil action. The bondsman have additional options - depending your contract - but getting criminal charges filed against you is not one (based on your description of events).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.