Frisco, TX asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Military Law for Texas

Q: Can I sue my former university for charging me out of state tuition due to the military moving me in highschool?

I applied to a texas colllege and when applying I informed the school that I considered myself a texas resident because I spent my freshmen, sophmore, and half of my senior year at a texas highschool and graduated from said school. I only spent my junior year and half of my senior year in new jersey because my parents are in the military and got moved there. The school responded by charging me out of state tuition. At the time it didn't matter because the government was paying for school but when I left and returned, now having lived in texas for 6 and half years they continued to charge me out of state. This was after I stated in my application that I had lived here for years. This status has hindered my residency status at the new university I am about to transfer too and I cannot afford out of state tuition. Do I have cause for suit and what are my options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: There are rules that govern when in-state and out of state tuition should be charged. (When I was in school, after being employed in Texas for a year, I qualified for in-state tuition - so I paid out of state tuition for only the first year, and then switched to in-state tuition.) Here's a link that explains the rule.

It's not clear from your post how the rule applies in your situation, because the answer depends in part on whether you are a dependent of your parents, or independent.

However, I doubt that there are grounds for a suit based on the university charging you the higher rate, if you didn't show them that you qualified for the lower rate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.