Vine Grove, KY asked in Real Estate Law for Kentucky

Q: Listed on deed of deceased fathers property. It was sold without my knowledge. They want me to sign away my rights to it

I had to knowledge of being listed on deed. I was told 20 years ago I had no claims to to my fathers estate by a local attorney. Now I find out I’m on the deed with strangers whom purchased it and they want to sell it so they are asking me to sign relinquishing any rights to the land. I was left out by siblings on both the sell of his property and his insurance money.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: You may be a Tenant In Common by Deed Conveyance or Heirship. You need to hire a competent KY attorney to search the title and determine ownership. You may wish to file a Partition Action or sell your interest by agreement, especially if your interest is insignificant or speculative. Either way you need an attorney, or you might just keep your interest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.