Port Orchard, WA asked in Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: I Live in Washington state . My ex girlfriend filed for a restraining order and accused me of Stuff I didn’t do .

Can I get a lawyer to help Me fight this at my hearing or is this like small claims court where I have to fight for my self? She accused me of abuse And said I molested her which I never did!!

More details: I was given a restraining order from my ex girlfriend of 7 years , and in it she says that I choked her ,beat her up and molested her. Which Is not true what so ever .im being accused of stealing her jewelry which is not the case , I took back a promise ring I gave her , which was my great grandmothers ring . She keeps telling everyone that my dad stole it which is false . She called the cops on me after I told her that I would return it to her, which I did that day. One day before she filed the RO she messaged me asking for money and I told her no . In the statement she said that she made the RO because she was scared that I was going to hurt her for calling the cops but that makes no sense to me because if I was to do that I had a week to do so. I have never hurt this woman

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Sorry to hear. It would be a good idea to be represented by a lawyer. Cease all contact with her. In this type of scenario, things can quickly spiral out of control while you remain unrepresented. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.