Springfield, MO asked in Divorce, Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Missouri

Q: Partner and I are done. Both share everything. She wants house. Do I get half of equity? Not married

Partner and I are separating. We share bank accounts and all bills. She wants to keep the house and I'm fine with that. But we have built equity and as far as I'm aware, I get 50 percent when my name comes off of it. Is this correct and if so, what's next? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The answer depends on A) how you and your partner hold title to the property and/or B) how you and your partner agree, in writing, to split the proceeds of sale of the property. The answer should be covered by A. As long as you are both on title as owners of equal shares, you will split the equity in the property on sale. If the way you hold title does not provide that result, you should consult an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.