Cushing, OK asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for Oklahoma

Q: I need to speak with an attorney regarding a Second Degree Burglary charge I am currently facing.

I was pretty much bullied into opening the car door for my abusive boyfriend (now ex boyfriend) so he could load 2 weed eaters he had just stolen from a storage unit, into the back seat of his car. I opened the back door like I was told to, and Got directly back into the vehicle. I am being charged with Second Degree Burglary for literally exiting a vehicle for no longer than 10 seconds and getting right back in the same vehicle. The story has alot more details behind it but I'd prefer to just talk about it on the phone rather than typing it all out.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you know about a crime, you go with them to the crime scene, you stay with them and you leave with them knowing what has occurred, you will almost always be charged as a codefendant. If you could show some coercion was applied to you, threats of some sort if you did not comply, and that you did not know what he was doing until he came to the car with the weedeaters then you might have a chance to win at a trial. Short of that, you’re guilty knowledge is a problem. This is a felony that carries prison time so you need to contact a criminal defense attorney immediately to discuss your options. If you’re indigent (poor) you can utilize the public defenders office, a free attorney, even if it goes to trial. If you bonded out then there could be a problem with the persuading the judge to appoint you this state provided attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.