West Long Branch, NJ asked in Business Formation and Business Law for New Jersey

Q: Looking to warehouse liquor in NJ but also have a seating area where people can sit and taste thier wines or whiskeys.

Is there a specific warehouse license I need and would a sitting area be allowable or considered a byob?

1 Lawyer Answer
Samuil Buschkin
Samuil Buschkin
  • Union, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Hi there.

In NJ, alcoholic beverages can only be stored in an area that is included in the licensed premises or in a

licensed public warehouse. In case of a temporary need to store alcoholic beverages elsewhere, a licensee

may apply to the Division of A.B.C. for a special permit to store off the licensed premises.

Unless there is a local ordinance prohibiting it, customers of an unlicensed restaurant may be permitted by

the owner of the restaurant to bring and consume only wine and beer. The restaurant can supply glasses,

ice, etc., but may not impose a cover, corkage, or service charge. Also, under no circumstances may

spirituous liquors be permitted. There may be no advertising whatsoever of the fact that wine or beer may

be permitted. Additionally, the owner may not permit wine or beer to be consumed during hours in which

the sale of these products is prohibited by licensees in that municipality, nor allow consumption of beer or

wine by persons under 21 years or by persons who are actually or apparently drunk or intoxicated. (N.J.S.A.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.