Asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: My daughter wants to change her last name. She has my x husbands but wants to have my maiden name. She is 17

She is 17 years old and we live in NC. She wants my last name. Her dad will not sign, can we do it without his signature. He pays child support and sees them 4 hours a month. She will be 18 in May

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: While it is possible to file for the name change now WITHOUT the signature of the father, the process becomes slightly easier after a minor turns 18. And since that is coming up relatively soon, I would suggest that she consider waiting. But again, it is possible to do now although there are some extra steps you have to take.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.