Arlington, VA asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Maryland

Q: can you file criminal charges against a police officer for false arrest - - false imprisonment

can you file criminal charges against a police officer for false arrest - - false imprisonment

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J. Bronson
Matthew J. Bronson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Montgomery Village, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Theoretically you could file criminal charges for a false arrest, but it would be a long uphill battle to show an Officer intentionally made a false arrest resulting in malfeasance or misfeasance. If you believe the Officer had no reasonable grounds to place you under arrest, you should seek Counsel to weigh your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.