Maryland White Collar Crime Questions & Answers

Q: Can I file suit against the buyer's agent, buyer, and or buyer's lender of my home for breach of contract?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Civil Litigation and White Collar Crime for Maryland on
Answered on Nov 22, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
You might have a basis to forfeit the buyer’s deposit based upon misrepresentation. The buyer beached the implied covenant of good faith dealing.

Q: Can I rectify an unintentional fraudulent mistake on past tax returns?

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Business Law and White Collar Crime for Maryland on
Answered on Feb 28, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
Criminal or civil fraud requires knowledge of the fraud and intentional conduct to perpetrate the fraud, so honest mistake is a complete defense. Stop worrying. Hire a CPA to review your past returns and file any corrected or amended returns for the affected years, as necessary. Any penalties or late fees can be paid or negotiated through your CPA. If you overpaid taxes or mistakenly paid taxes to the wrong taxing authority, you can request a refund, but you may be limited to the past three...

Q: Felony Expungement

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Litigation and White Collar Crime for Maryland on
Answered on Aug 16, 2017
Eric Todd Kirk's answer
Did she file a motion to modify within 90 days of her conviction? If so, and if that has not been ruled on, then yes, she may still have that opportunity.

Q: I have been sentenced but now have new evidence in my case. I wish to file a motion for reconsideration.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Stockbroker Fraud and White Collar Crime for Maryland on
Answered on May 25, 2017
Thomas Joseph Maronick Jr's answer
How long since sentencing? If within 10 days of your trial date you can ask for a new trial. If within 30 days of disposition you can appeal, if within 90 days you can ask for a modification of sentence. Depending on what court you are in, likely will need to file a coram nobis for a new trial opportunity if past the time limits mentioned.

Q: Are these people committing extortion????

1 Answer | Asked in White Collar Crime for Maryland on
Answered on Sep 23, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
This question has gone unanswered for well over a year. Yes, that appears to be extortion in my opinion. I do not know enough facts to venture a guess for the second question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.