Saint Marys, OH asked in Divorce and Family Law for Ohio

Q: When filing for a divorce what all paperwork is needed to be taken to the attorney?

We live in the same house, but he’s a truck driver and is only home on weekends. We have not slept in the same bed in 17 years. He has sever ED and so we have not had sexual relations in 17 years. HOWEVER I have been faithful the entire time. In fact we don’t sleep in the same room. The only things that I want is my SUV that’s the oldest vehicle but it has to be put into my name only. I want the dog because he can’t take care of it. I want my maiden name returned to me. I will pay my personal credit cards and cell phone bills. And of course I want my personal items. I want the house and the Time Investment loans put into his name only. He can pay his own cellphone, credit cards and car loan. I only have my social security check but I DO NOT want alimony. I just want him to take all community property plus his personal debts since I know that he can pay for them. Plus he will need to put the utilities in his name also.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The outcome for your divorce that you have described seems reasonable. Your attorney will tell you what is needed for the attorney to fill out the required forms to file with the court - mostly bank account statements and other financial information, tax returns, monthly income and expenses, both for you and your spouse. Also provide the list of household and personal items and items you want. Call the attorney and ask what to provide. If you don't have an attorney, use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local divorce attorney to assist you. Best wishes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.