Mesa, AZ asked in Collections and Small Claims for Arizona

Q: I received a summons to appear in court for a debt collection, but I live out of state and have no way of attending.

I am being sued in Wisconsin and live in a Arizona. I was served papers at my apartment in AZ.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: This looks like something that a Wisconsin attorney could advise best on, but your post remains open for two weeks, and time is probably of the essence in your actions. Since these things can require responses in the order of around 20 or 30 days in many jurisdictions, reposting your question in the Wisconsin section could result in losing further time.

You could reach out to Wisconsin attorneys who handle collection defense to discuss whether representation in your absence is possible in your situation. You could search for attorneys independently on your own, or you could use the tab above (Find-a-Lawyer). If you wanted to repost the question in Wisconsin, you could still do that - whichever helps you get a quicker response. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.