Asked in Immigration Law

Q: What are the consequences for an US citizen overstaying visa in Ghana, if he doesn't have money to pay the fees?

I have an American friend that overstayed in Ghana 21 days. He had a problem with online banking login and his bank blocked his account for security reasons.He forgot his wallet with the cards in a taxi, he went to the police and the taxi driver was found but he said that he didn't see any wallet, so my friend is left with no money in Ghana. He very hard managed to borrow some money to pay the hotel bill and to buy a flight ticket, but the immigration officers didn't let him go. Now he's at the immigration office and he doesn't have money to pay the fee. What he can do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL

A: You are describing a very frequent confidence scheme to lure funds from innocent strangers. If any "American" would get in the circumstances in any country he or she would promptly contact the police and then the U.S. Embassy art Consulate and they would assist promptly.

Also, a note of that nature should be blocked as it is an illegal method to use a legitimate legal portal to facilitate a financial crime.

1 user found this answer helpful

Raymond  Lahoud
Raymond Lahoud
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Allentown, PA

A: This looks like a scam. Please contact the local US Consulate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.