Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: I had an an attorney send me a demand letter stating I had 3 days to give them money

So details ( I’m not delinquent on rent) I have a friend who had kidney disease and was on dialysis. He couldn’t work and was on his death bed. I took him in and made sure he went to his appointments and he was on disability but it barely covered anything. His dialysis clinic let him know of a program to help him get help on his rent so he could pay bills. The clinic helped fill out this Texas rent relief to help the patients. My friend isn’t on the lease, however my leasing manager knows he lives here and asked for him to be on the lease but never pushed the matter and still renewed my lease. Now I’m being told I violated my lease and I’m allegedly subletting my unit because the Texas rent relief made an error in payment. Now my complex wants money they claim is owed to them ( which I don’t get because I’m never late) or they will get the police. I tried to contact their attorney asking for more time and ask my leasing manager which he’s out of the office. What are my rights?

1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your rights are limited to the terms of the lease you signed. The fact that the manager may know that your friend is there doesn't change the terms of the lease.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.