Dallas, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: landlord says I did not pay rent, I have the M Order receipts I gave him, additionally Im beneficiary of a fed program

of rent relief which covered 8 months, plus 7.5 months I paid, LLrd refuses to provide one single receipt. He is using dubious accounting practices. bottom line all included I must have covered about 15 months of rent & wants me to start paying again in January 2022, lease is expired and he did not renew it, so I am on a month to month basis. I know I can trace the money orders since issuer is the USPS. But I need to be ahead of him because I am sure he will try to come up with more dirty tricks at the last minute. I seriously need help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should Always keep your own records. If you think the landlord is not going to credit all your payments, that's a really good reason to start gathering your own records.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.