Oklahoma City, OK asked in Employment Law, Libel & Slander and Small Claims for Missouri

Q: Can I sue my ex-employer for falsely accusing of theft with in investigative before I was fired and then threaten me

To pay back money that was not stolen from them and had me come in after I was fired to train someone to use computer I have emails were they say I stoled from them with I didn’t, I have proof. Can I sue for defamation of character I had 10yr with them with never one issue

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Defamation cases are tough and expensive in Missouri. If your employer merely sent false emails to you and terminated your employment because it believed you committed theft, then you don't have a basis for a defamation suit in Missouri. Defamation requires publication of the false statement to a third party and damages resulting. You've not articulated that the employer communicated the false statement to a third party and that you suffered damages from the third party's believing he false statement. If you performed work after being terminated and were not paid for such work you may be able to assert a claim for unpaid wages. If it makes financial sense to you, hire an attorney to provide a legal consultation and to assess your situation in detail.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.