Lewisville, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: Father left the country

When my daughter was 13 the ex (father) left the country and never paid child support. This has been about 10 years ago. Can he be charged for abandoning or any other charges even tho she was left in my care? He has returned to the States last year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If there is not a court order requiring him to pay child support, then there is nothing for him to be "charged" with. It's unfortunate that he just abandoned his child, but his hasn't committed any crime.

If there IS a court order requiring him to pay child support, then legal action can be taken to ask a judge to hold him in contempt for not following the court order.

I hope this information helps. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.