Mount Juliet, TN asked in Divorce and Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: asking for my daughter who is in a bad situation in a marriage with a 2 year old and cannot afford a lawyer

not sure if this question got through previously but my daughter is in a very emotionally abusive situation with a husband of almost 6 years that has complete control over all assets and resources and has a young girlfriend that he stays with during the week in another part of MA. Since everything is in his name he can throw her out of the house when he wants and he has. He wants her gone - getting nothing including her 2 year old son who she has been the major caregiver for. Is there anywhere she can go for help?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: There are pro bono attorneys such as through the Volunteer Lawyers project of the Boston Bar Association and the major law schools have law clinics which may be a route. She has obvioulsy rights not to be abused and there would be child support orders for the child. If this is a brief marriage and they did not cohabit for very long before the marriage there may not be much to divide, but if the real estate increased in value while they were together that can be shared. A big concern is what care this father provides to the minor child and what is in the child's best interests including safety concerns if he is abusive or has inappropriate friends around the child.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.