Mobile, AL asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: Hi i have been paying child support regularly for the last 11 years. And now my child is going through some difficulties

Hi i have been paying child support regularly for the last 11 years. And now my child is going through some difficulties so his Mother wants him to live with me instead. Since living with me i am going to spend money on him the Mother wants to waive / stop the child support.


Do we have to modify custody?

Is there other ways other than modifying custody to stop the child support?

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Your thoughts on this are correct. You do need to go through the court system to end child support. You may be able to end child support without changing custody but you will have to provide an acceptable reason to the judge as to why child support would be waived. As always this should likely be handled by an attorney. If agreed it should be at least marginally affordable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.