Honolulu, HI asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Hawaii

Q: How do I get my money back on a false misrepresentation of a claim on a product I bought?

I purchased a device that claimed FDA approval and it is not. I based the purchase on being told it was FDA approved.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Hawaii attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for five weeks. Hawaii consumer laws aside, which only a local attorney could advise about, the most practical approach could be to request refund through the company's customer service department. If there's more to the matter, such as injury related to the FDA approval or package warnings, that could be something for a product liability attorney to advise on. But for now, if you haven't already resolved the matter, starting with a simple request could be your first option. If that doesn't work, you could consider small claims or other self-help measures. If it's simply a small off-the-shelf item, there's probably no point opening the door to unnecessary legal fees. I hope there were no injuries related to use of the product, and there is no mention of them. But if there were, then an attorney consult could be worth considering. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.