Miami, FL asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: My brother bought from my co-owner his investment in the property, 30%. Now, in a partition lawsuit he's claiming 66%.

I offered my brother to pay off the loan to my ex-partner $74,000.00 for the part that he owned in the house (30%) so that one day he could receive the benefit of my investment of $ 150,000.00 in cash. My brother accepted the offer, a contract with a lifetime guarantee. At the closing of the transaction, my brother's wife asked to be added to the title of the property because she was his wife. Although she is not part of the sales contract, she was added to the title. Now, without even having cooperated with the maintenance costs of the property. They have sued me and demand 2/3% of the property. However, legal representation is very expensive and my financial resources are very limited. I am a beneficiary of a Social Security disability. In order to retain an attorney who can defend me in my case, I respectfully ask for your help.

2 Lawyer Answers
Jane Kim
Jane Kim
  • Naples, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Try these people-

I am not sure if they handle your type of issue, but this is a legal aid clinic and maybe they can refer you to someone.

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Ms. Kim, in her answer, was on the right track but gave a link to a legal services agency in another part of the State. For the Miami area, contact Legal Services of Greater Miami - see:

or Dade Legal Aid Put Something Back - see

If you cannot obtain pro bono (free) representation, you may be able to obtain a low-fee lawyer by contacting the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service and say you need a referral to a low-fee lawyer.


- or their general page at

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.