Washington, DC asked in Immigration Law for District of Columbia

Q: Green card

My green card expires at February 28 but I have already applied US Citizenship. I’m visiting my country in February 10. But I am coming back at February 22. Will there be any problem? Or Is it possible to extend my green card? If it’s possible then how can I extend my green card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Samuil Buschkin
Samuil Buschkin
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Ridgewood, NJ

A: If you have a foreign passport , get a i551 stamp. otherwise, you may have problems reentering on an expired green-card (not proof of status). you will be at CBP's discretion and may have to pay a steep reentry fee. it's a risk, if you cannot avoid taking the trip.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.