El Paso, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Can I assign guardianship of my adopted child to biological mom if she voluntarily signed away parental rights?

Child was placed in CPS care at birth. Biological father’s rights were taken by court. Biological mother voluntarily signed them away. I adopted the child, who is biologically my nephew. Mom is now stable and able to care for child. This is in Texas.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This is a multi-layered question that poses more questions; which could result in different legal answers depending on how the questions are answered. I would strongly suggest you seek legal counsel to get a more accurate answer to your question.

I'm not sure what the reason is for your wanting to allow biological Mother access to your legally adopted child, but Guardianship is legal process that you have to go through with the Court. The Court determines whether someone is qualified to be a legal guardian of a child. Maybe "guardianship" is not the solution to your issue. If you just want to allow biological Mother access to the child, then there is another legal route you can take.

Again, without more background to your question, it's hard to provide a good answer to you. I hope this information helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.