Bothell, WA asked in Medical Malpractice for Washington

Q: How to sue this doctor

My father was treated with chemotherapy and immunotherapy in each infusion that he had, they took a blood test for more than almost a year, but in this last month, he felt terrible, weak, confused. We thought that it was a product of the treatments he had. So we asked the doctor, and he did not say anything, that it was just a superficial infection. Still, it was not like that in the emergency of the Swedish hospital they told us that he had a blood infection that was sepsis that is why only now we realize why each test they took him said white blood cells are high. My father died this Saturday, December 25, due to an infection. He had bladder cancer, it is true, but if they had warned us about the infection that he had, we would have done something to solve it so that my father would have lived longer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Egan Patrick Kilbane
Egan Patrick Kilbane
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: I am extremely sorry for your family's loss. Unfortunately, it is impossible to even preliminarily evaluate a potential case of medical negligence without reviewing the medical records themselves. Given your concerns, I would strongly encourage your family to request your father's medical records in digital format. With these available, I encourage you to consult with qualified medical malpractice attorney/law firms like ours. With the records already in hand, we can more promptly provide you with more meaningful input and answers to your questions. Without a detailed consultation it is difficult to rule out a claim, and even if qualified attorneys advise after consultation that they cannot see a viable claim to pursue, consultation may still hopefully provide your family with some answers and peace of mind. Please also be advised that there are strict time limits upon when legal claims can be brought that sometimes depend upon the type of claim and the defendant provider, so you should not delay in consulting. My very best wishes to you and your family amidst these sad circumstances,

Christopher Kirk Steuart agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.