Lake Elsinore, CA asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Domestic Violence and Legal Malpractice for California

Q: Filling an appeal and just need to know which appeal I should file.

We are going to file in appeal but I am not sure which application I should file because we both agree that his rights were violated as a person that is representing himself in court. He wasn't supply anything that you are suppose to get when you are self representing yourself. Even with a court order for him to use the law library and any other resources he was only given a few times in the law library, and he officially started to self represent himself Oct.1st 2021. He placed grievances in every time he was denied going to the law library. He would bring it up in court and another order was put in stating that he had those privilege but it didn't matter. So with that been said how could he properly defend himself. Also he was never given counsel to help give him advice or guidance thought this whole process. he is awaiting sentencing because he was found guilty of all counts.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: More info needed.

Why wouldn’t court appoint a lawyer?

Did D initially refuse counsel?

Something is missing in the facts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.