Ashburn, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland

Q: Will my license be suspended if I pay a fine for letting unlicensed driver behind the wheel

Unlicensed driver rear ended another car on high way

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: DO NOT PAY IT. It carries 5 points. That's 3 points short of suspension of your privilege to drive in Maryland, but will trigger a point system conference with the Maryland MVA. Conviction will also be reported to Virginia (if that is where you are licensed--you list Ashburn, VA on your post) and VA will imose whatever points apply under the VA Code (you need to ask a lawyer in Virginia what those penalties will be). In Virginia, such an offense is a class 1 misdemeanor and carries up to a year in jail. While you are not facing those penalties in MD, and VA cannot prosecute you under its version of the law, VA can and will take whatever action aganst your VA driver's license it could have taken had you been convicted on the same offense in VA. Therefore, you do not want to get this conviction in Maryland. Hire a lawyer to deal with the offense in Maryland, and requst the trial (NOT a waiver hearing). There is a good chance you may be able to avoid points and a conviction, which will avoid the offense from appearing on your VA record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.