Cleveland, OH asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: The man who signed my birth certificate 34 years ago is not my real father. Will this affect my passport application?

The man who signed my birth certificate 34 years ago is not my real father. I believe my mother thought he was my real father at the time. I was told this many years ago, never thought much about it. I met another man I believe is my real father several years ago, but no longer have contact with him either. There are no legal documents or DNA tests tying me to this second man. When I fill out a passport application, I need my parents info. Do I use the man who signed my birth cert, or selec "uknown"? I don't want to lie to the government.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: Until and unless another man is legally identified as your legal father, the man listed on your birth certificate who signed it is your legal father. Best wishes!

Tim Akpinar and Kevin L Dixler agree with this answer

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.