Willmar, MN asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for Minnesota

Q: Desperately seeking Criminal Appeals attorney for my fiance incarcerated, due to mental health I need him to care4me

Currently incarcerated in Faribault MN Prison. Was sentenced 12/21/2012, 4 years remaining. With the laws changing and my depreciating mental health, I need him out here is possible to take care of me. Looking for Appeals Attorney to review his case and see what our options are. Im on disability due to mental health unable to work, hes incarcerated so finances are tight but we will figure out what is necessary to get him home before I can no longer take care of myself

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint Cloud, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Your fiancee's has already appealed his convictions. That appeal was decided by the Minnesota Court of Appeals April 28, 2014. Absent something extraordinary, he no longer is able to appeal or challenge any errors that might've occurred in his case. An appellate attorney would need to get a copy of his transcripts, review those, along with appellate decision, and do research to see if there are any issues that could potentially be raise, but that is not going to be cheap and the likelihood that he can appeal/challenge anything this late in the game is quite low. Reach out to attorney's directly to see about what something like this might cost. But the pro bono option (ie the State public defender) has already been utilized and they will not handle another appeal/post conviction relief.

Thomas James agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.