Metuchen, NJ asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: A family member moved into my home without permission while I'm away for medical treatment. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Rule of Law in Puerto Rico states that you can evict him through the Puerto Rico courts within the year from whence you became aware of your relative’s invasion of your property.

As a start, I would send him a written request, delivered via certified mail with receipt confirmation, demanding that he/she vacate the premises of your property; or else, you’ll go to the courts to have him/her legally evicted.

One question I do have is how that person obtained the key(s) to your property. Either these were obtained from you or from someone you entrusted with the keys. This person whom you entrusted may also be liable for any damages to your property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.