Asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Neighbor build a new house on my mom’s property while she was away in the states. What can she do?

Hurricane Maria left my mother’s home unlivable. While she was away, waiting for the home to be repaired, the neighbor knocked down the fence and build his home on her property. Is there anything she can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Rule of Law in Puerto Rico grants your mother a 1-year term (starting at the time she becomes aware of the invasion) to request the courts to have her neighbor remove that part of the construction that invades her property. After the year, it would be presumed that the neighbor occupies the property with your mother's consent. The court's decision may go from ordering the neighbor to tear down that part of the construction that invades your mother's property, all the way through monetary compensation, depending upon the circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.