Lima, OH asked in DUI / DWI for Ohio

Q: I'm black male 39, pulled over in the line at a fast food restaurant for an OVI. I blow a .106 should I get legal aid?

This my first offense of this nature, I believe I passed all of the road side test they gave me. It was newyears so I was honest about having something to drink but I don't believe that I was impaired to the point where I was a danger to myself or anyone.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Smith
Brian Smith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Rocky River, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Hiring an attorney seems to make sense in light of OVI charges that carry with them the potential for jail, probation, fines, a license suspension, and a conviction that cannot be expunged/sealed. You can of course search of a local OVI attorney to hire or you can ask the court for an appointed lawyer. When someone requests an appointed attorney, they are typically required to complete a financial disclosure form to see if they qualify.

.106 is over the legal limit of .08, but there may be many issues to raise including issues about the initial traffic stop, the field sobriety tests, whether they had probable cause to arrest you to ask you to take the breath test, and whether the the test result is ultimately admissible. Experienced OVI attorneys explore this issues and many others to help people achieve the best resolution possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.