Midvale, UT asked in Personal Injury for Utah

Q: Can you sue a residential treatment center from when you where a minor (8) years ago for physical abuse and negligence ?

Myself and a few other girls from my treatment center where abused as minors and we have permanent nerve damage as well as other injuries we still have today. I was young when I left and didn’t realize it was child abuse until I was older

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Utah attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm very sorry this happened to you and the other girls at the facility. You could reach out to law firms to discuss in detail and confidence. The fact that this happened to more than one of you could possibly serve to corroborate the credibility of your accounts. At the very least, you could learn the timeframes in which you would need to take action to preserve your legal rights under Utah statutes of limitations. You could look into whether it is possible to arrange a free initial consult. Currently, many law firms offer virtual consults. You could search firms independently on your own, or you could use the Find-a-Lawyer tab above. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.