Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Personal Injury Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: Can you sue a residential treatment center from when you where a minor (8) years ago for physical abuse and negligence ?

Myself and a few other girls from my treatment center where abused as minors and we have permanent nerve damage as well as other injuries we still have today. I was young when I left and didn’t realize it was child abuse until I was older

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 16, 2022

A Utah attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm very sorry this happened to you and the other girls at the facility. You could reach out to law firms to discuss in detail and confidence. The fact that this happened to more than one of you could possibly... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury and Communications Law for Utah on
Q: (Utah) I was terminated due to attendance at my job, and my boss contacted my cohabitates to inform them.

For background, I cohabitate(d) with my girlfriend and her parents. With my termination, this supervisor notified my girlfriend’s parents before I had the opportunity to repose & break the news myself (this is in the span of less than 24 hours.) This has resulted in my displacement from their... Read more »

Michael Lewis Eisner
Michael Lewis Eisner answered on Sep 21, 2021

You should consult with an attorney in Utah. Each state has different laws regarding communications with others. If someone says or writes something false, the publisher can be held liable for damages caused by the defamation of character (libel or slander). Many states also allow a cause of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Nursing Home Abuse and Wrongful Death for Utah on
Q: My friend had a tragic thing happen at a an assisted living center. Need advice.

My friends mother was staying at an assisted living center until this past February when she tragically passed away due to lack of oxygen from choking on some food she was eating for lunch. They did not check on her for 40-45 mins after lunch when they located her on the ground in her room. This... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 22, 2021

A Utah attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. I'm very sorry for you and your friend's loss. You ask for someone to please advise. Your friend's best option would be to consider reaching out to attorneys to discuss in greater detail. Law firms that... Read more »

Q: How can I find patents filed on my truck?

I have good reason to believe my truck was modified for patents

Omar Darwich
Omar Darwich answered on Jul 7, 2021

You could consult with an attorney.

To be clear you believe your truck had aftermarket parts installed in order to somehow get a patent on the truck?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Utah on
Q: My HIPPA was grossly violated by 2 clinics. One in Utah and one in Chicago.

I filed this with the Federal Government. My husband is a physician & I work in healthcare as well . Because of that, I am having a hard time finding an attorney that doesn’t do malpractice and HIPPA violations. Does anyone know who I can talk to about this? This is a very serious HIPPA... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 6, 2021

I'm not sure what you mean by your HIPAA being violated but the short answer to your question is that in their wisdom Congress in enacting HIPAA did not provide any remedy for a violation, other than potential injunctive or declaratory relief which means no money therefore no attorney would... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: Is it legal when you sign a consent form that includes mail email and electronic devices but instead made numerous call

I signed a consent to release information that stated mail email or electronic devices why at a rehabilitation center instead worker made numerous calls to family members discussing me

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 12, 2020

A Utah attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for a week. It's difficult to say whether their conduct constitutes a privacy violation without knowing what other documents are in your patient file. If family members participate in a patient's enrollment in such programs... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: My husband has prostate cancer everytime we see dr we are told something totally opposite from last visit.

Dr put stent in and then went to remove it g ok t caught and bubble wouldnt pop so he pulled it out anyway. Put cathetrr in wrong causing blood clots ect had to go to er.this happened provo utah

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 7, 2020

A Utah attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for a week. There wasn't a question included, but if you are wondering whether the described events provide the basis for a medical malpractice case, an attorney would probably need to review the file with the assistance of a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Communications Law and White Collar Crime for Utah on
Q: Do I need a personal injury lawyer and a civil rights lawyer when Suing multiple health providers?

Looking for an attorney to help me pursue my complaint, by suing multiple people and/or health providers whom may be able to assist me by giving a discount or payment plans? Maybe even PRO BONO? The information I have obtained is very sensitive so please email responses to:... Read more »

Tyler Young
Tyler Young answered on Jul 27, 2020

You need a medical malpractice / personal injury attorney. If there are civil rights components to your case, often a an injury attorney can assist you with that as well.

Medical malpractice tort reform laws in Utah make it nearly impossible for non-lawyers to navigate the litigation...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Tax Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Utah on
Q: Law suit or cash payment..HELOC check acceptable?

My boyfriend wanted to help me invest my portfolio. I gave him access but with stipulations that we were to talk about each position and I would okay them. I also told him I did not want to lose more than 2500$ of the original 10 k we talked about. He was to always put stops or trailing stops to... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Apr 7, 2020

He basically gave you a gift. Don't worry about taxes. Gifts are not taxed. You do not need to worry about taxes.


1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Business Law and Federal Crimes for Utah on
Q: This may be stupid but i have to know, Can I sue McDonald's and Other Companies Involved in Monopoly?

I am finding out for the 1st time EVER that the monopoly games were fixed and I am devastated! As a young woman,teenager, &single mom, i spent every bit of my weekly allowance, money earned from babysitting, mowing yards, odd jobs,and money from my 1st waitressing job on the monopoly game.... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Mar 30, 2020

When you say that the monopoly game was fixed, I am not sure understand. Did they misrepresent anything? Did you read their fine print of the rules and find out that they were lying? If so they could be liable. If you thought your chances of winning were better than what McDonalds represented... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: wrongful eviction with a plan that involves roomate and neihbors

my landlord evicted myself and my boyfriend said he had no choice. the neighbor tried to get us to swap her daughter apartments but we said no, my boyfriends roomate made the choice to talk to the neighbors and the landlord and they all agreed that me and my boyfriend should be evicted, and then... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 3, 2020

If your eviction is still pending, a landlord-tenant attorney could advise in the best manner - or given the difficult situation, you may have already decided to start looking into other places at this point. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Family Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: What can i do if my custody case has other proceedings and or personal attacks against me from those who r on my ex side

my ex filed for full custody after i filed for support. well after out temporary orders hearing my ex and his attorney had requested things they know i cant do so there for my parent time has been taken from me even though i begged them to make it to where i can do them but they would not. My ex... Read more »

Lane Wood
Lane Wood answered on Jan 13, 2020

First and foremost, it sounds like you should consider hiring an attorney. It sounds like your ex and his attorney are taking a very aggressive approach in the custody litigation. Their approach seems to be working to keep you from the kids. I suggest finding an attorney who can help level the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Nursing Home Abuse, Employment Law and Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: I got hurt/burnt at work, at a nursing home. Someone left oil and food on the grill and set off the fire alarm.

And in a panic I grab the tool to get grease off and other stuff off the grill and the oil was at the highest temperature. And when I scrapped the burnt everything off the oil went up the tool on to my hand and caused. 2nd-3rd degree burns from the tip of my finger to my nuckle. After a half hour... Read more »

Michael C. Smith
Michael C. Smith answered on Oct 18, 2019

I'm very sorry to hear about your injury and the retaliation by your company. You probably have a workers compensation claim for your injuries and a wrongful termination. You should definitely speak to an attorney about your case. Best wishes to a quick recovery.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: Is a driver liable for causing an motorcycle accident if they initiate a turn in front of the bike and it goes down?

The driver of the car initiated a left turn into a school and stopped a foot in the lane of traffic of the motorcycle who was traveling in the opposite direction. The car didn’t hit the motorcyclist. The driver of the motorcycle assuming they would be hit braked hard locking the front wheel while... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 29, 2019

I do not practice in Utah, but your question remains open for four weeks. A local attorney could best advise on the operation of Utah's vehicle and traffic laws. However, as general legal doctrine, one can be liable for an accident even if they do not actually physically impact the other... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: due you know any lawyer that will take a case from a women who had direct inguinal hernia surgery in 2001.

I can only find ones that go back as far as 2004. The doctor that did the surgery is no longer in salt lake city and they no longer have my records. So I do not no if I have the recall ring or mesh they used. I have had a lot of problem,and pain with this surgery.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 21, 2019

The issue is if they remove it you want it saved. I don't see a likely case until you can identify that item. Check the hospital records for the bills for the surgery--that might state what it was that was put in. Also hospitals frequently have the records that far back.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Utah on
Q: Don't you have to be a felon to be a restricted person? Or have mental illness? Or have some conviction for violence?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 9, 2019

You could additionally post this in the Criminal Law section. Criminal law attorneys would be able to provide more meaningful input on the issues mentioned here than personal injury attorneys would.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: Whats the statue of limitations on suing a company of your injuries
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 9, 2019

If its a company you work for it will be different than if it's from a product is diiferent from other cases. Contact a member of the Utah Trial Lawyers Assn in your county. They give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property and Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: Left personal property behind in nevada hotel room. Staff say nothing has been found since april 2018

Contacted them by email and by phone many times. I am certain staff did not turned it in.

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Dec 12, 2018

I am not sure that you posited a question. I will try to answer what you might be asking and that is whether a hotel is liable to disclose or facilitate the return of property left at their hotel by tenants if the tenant reports that it was left there.

The hotel's position is that...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Small Claims for Utah on
Q: Auto-repair/dealer employee made rude/crude comments while giving me a bill for something i didnt ask for. What can I do

I already knew the problem and just wanted an idea of how much it would cost. I left and returned and decided it was to much so i wanted my car and to leave. So, he wrote me a bill for diagnostics and i told him i already knew what was wrong, i didn't want the diagnostic. He said it was in the... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Aug 28, 2018

I am sorry, but there is not much you can do legally. Offensive speech is free speech. There are such claims as "intentional infliction of emotional distress" and "negligent infliction of emotional distress" but his conduct would not rise to that level.

If he had...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Utah on
Q: Can a judge keep making you restart supervision with no end in sight torment&continues still years over even no illegal?

Is it okay for someone to suffer over and over for years because a judge wants to say you can't do it...even legal everywhere...then expect me to be okay with revoking and restarting for 10 years or however long and go through all this keeping in mind already spending 48 months in custody... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 31, 2018

You need to consult directly with an attorney. Your facts are not sufficient to understand what occurred. Moreover, you have one long run-on sentence so it is virtually impossible to parse

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.