Spring, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: I need help interpreting the section on geographic restrictions in my divorce decree/custody agreement. (names removed)

It states: IT IS ORDERED that the primary residence of the child shall be within 100 miles of the residence of Respondent, and the parties shall not remove the child from within 100miles of the residence of Respondent for the purpose of changing the primary residence of the child until this geographic restriction is modified by further order of the court of continuing jurisdiction or by a written agreement that is signed by the parties and filed with that court.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that *MOM* shall have the exclusive right to designate the child's primary residence within 100miles of the residence of Respondent.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that this geographic restriction on the residence of the child shall be lifted if, at the time *MOM* wishes to remove the child from within 100miles of Respondent's residence for the purpose of changing the primary residence of the child, *DAD* has moved from his original residence to a location farther from Petitioner's residence than previously.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This language means that if Mom is the who the child primarily lives with, then she cannot move with the child more than 100 miles of where Dad currently lives (this presumes that Mom and Dad currently live less than 100 miles from each other). If Mom chooses to move the child's residence, then either Dad has to agree to it OR, if Dad does not agree, Mom and Dad would have to back to court and see if a Judge will allow the child's residence to be moved.

However, if Dad moves more than 100 miles from where Mom currently resides, then the restriction is automatically removed and Mom can move the child's residence without Dad's agreement or permission from the Court.

I hope this helps explain the language. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.