Leavenworth, KS asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: my sister still lives with our highly abusive mother. how can I legally get her out of there.

We have a lot of evidence of gaby (mom) abusing me and my dad. Plenty court cases and files. Her record is far beyond damaged. Theres no reason as to why my sister has to stay with her. We don't have too much evidence of abuse towards my sister which is the problem. However, im not living with her anymore and gaby took all of her electronics away. Gaby is an evil person and I just want my sister to be okay and not with her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Birk Baumgartner
Stephen Birk Baumgartner
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am very sorry you are going through this. This is definitely a complicated family law question. However, if you suspect abuse of your sister, then you should call the Department of Human Services, Child Protection Division, and possibly the police. The answer to how you get her out of there likely depends on the results of those investigations, as well as your sisters age, and many other factors. But the first step should be reporting abuse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.