Sandusky, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: When is it abandonment?

I had a short fling with an old friend, found out he had an extensive criminal record, that includes DV, and drug use and multiple thefts.He’s threatened to come to my house if I didn’t answer the phone. I tried co parenting but when he found out I was getting my conceal carry he said if I did he would use the gun to kill himself if he knew where it was. When I allowed him to my house to meet our daughter he went through every room of my house demanding to see where is child lived, he went as far as questioning if I had a security system.. He’s met our daughter twice. All supervised at ny house with witnesses. He is not on the birth certificate, she doesn’t have his last name, and paternity was never established. When is it considered abandonment or failure to establish paternity? The baby will be 1 in April. We haven’t heard from him since she was a month old. She’s 8 month old. I worry if he does get any kind of visits he will hurt her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you were not married to him, and a court has not granted him any parental rights to your child, then he has none, and as the mother, you have sole legal custody and decide who gets to spend time with your child, or can prohibit all contact. You could initiate action to have him pay child support, and he will be required to take a paternity test. But if proven to be the father and ordered to pay child support, then he could file with the court for parental rights and ask the court to establish parenting time for him with your child. He could file with the court for parental rights even if you didn't file for child support. So different things could happen. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney who can review all the facts and circumstances, and then advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.