Olympia, WA asked in Family Law for Washington

Q: Want to know my rights. I left the home. The mortgage is under my husbands name only. We have a family trust will

set up. We have a lot of equity in the home. Am I losing out on anything by moving out? I’m only taking my personal things and he wants to still live there. I rented an apartment and bought myself new furniture. I want a peaceful separation or divorce. Do I really need to do anything to protect myself? Im not interested in getting a divorce. Just want to always stay separated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary C Ashby
Zachary C Ashby
  • Richland, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: I am sorry to hear that the relationship is not working out.

If you do nothing, you are still on the hook for the mortgage. You are still also in many ways responsible for any other debts such as credit cards your husband gets.

Filing for divorce or legal separation allows you to publicly protect yourself from the actions of your husband financially speaking.

It also does not have to be a fight and a good attorney will take an approach tailored to your needs and situation. An attorney will also be able to go over anything else that might be going on to help you protect yourself during the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.